Friday, June 4, 2010

Keep It Simple

Recently I have been reminded of how much joy I get from simple things. Maybe it's because recently I've been feeling a little light in the wallet and have had to find alternative means of entertainment, but no matter. I'm glad. Driving, getting a letter from my best friend, writing a letter, listening to the rain, eating homemade ice cream while sitting in rocking chairs, picking wild blackberries, my bed at home, opening the fridge and having more than two options of things to eat, my "house smell," laying on the couch with my dog, spending hours at the lake fishing (sometimes in complete silence), throwing a Frisbee, writing with a good pen, a picnic. All of these things are so simple. They don't require skill. They don't require any real effort. They don't require money. And they give me so much joy. I think it's because they are mindless things. Have you ever thought about how the things that are supposed to make us happy (having money, having a good job, having nice things) are often the things most capable of stealing our joy. They cause stress. And stress=worry=joy slipping away. Simple, mindless things allow me to just enjoy the moment. Forget about everything else. It's the best time for me to meet with God. Simple, mindless things clear my head of all the stresses of life and allow Him to completely invade my thoughts. When He invades my thoughts I can't help being joyful. Because all i can think about is how wonderfully amazing His love is.

Home is here. I said bye bye to Athens and hello to Cumming. And you know what, it feels good. I'm gonna have so much time to enjoy the simple things. Enjoy His presence. He longs for me and I for Him.

I'm christening my new journal tonight. It's the one I made. Yes. Another simple pleasure: starting a new journal. It's gonna be a great night.


P.S-I made a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. I'm gonna blog about them as I complete them.

#32-Went to Jackson Street Bookstore about a week ago. Very very cool place. Didn't buy anything. To be honest I was a little overwhelmed. But I felt smarter walking around in there. It smelled smart.

#42-New watch. Done. Purchased a watch from Helix downtown, a very trendy store.

#54-Picking berries and making a pie. This came much sooner than expected. It actually ended up being a cobbler which is still honorable in my book. We picked wild blackberries at my friends house and then made a delicious cobbler which was enjoyed along side vanilla ice cream :)

1 comment:

  1. That cobbler looks A PLUS!... but your apron is a bit out of season.
    Sorry it has totally taken me 10 years to get your blog all synced up to my life.
    Now that it is... i will be taking notice of when and how often you post:)
    kidding. ... don't freak out.
    but i will read when you do post.
    love love love!
    see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete