Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Identity

This is a question I've wrestled with for a while and a question I know many of my friends have been confronted with as well. It won't be answered in this post or any time in the near future. Who is God in my life?

Think about the father figure in your life. Under the umbrella of "Dad" there is the provider, the care-giver, the encourager, the comforter, the protector, and the disciplinary. We call God Father but for me, I've never actually identified him as all of these things. Under the canopy of God the Father there is the protector, the redeemer, the jealous lover, the healer, the defender, the comforter, the savior, and the disciplinary. God is all of those and more. He's everything. But unlike my earthly father, I haven't been able to truly grasp all that he is. I can't yet call him "Dad" in the full confidence that I understand every role that that title entails. God to me has always been the redeemer. He has redeemed from who I once was and is teaching me about who he wants me to be. I haven't yet come to know him as my lover or as my healer or the many other things he is. I definitely want to know him as all of those things but I just haven't been able to wrap my head around it. I pray that during different stages in my life I will come to know all of God's roles. I don't know. It's just something that's on my mind alot. Because it's like the person who knows me best is in a way still a mystery to me.

More to come on this...

No comments:

Post a Comment