Friday, May 14, 2010

Too Bad It's Not an Anatomy Book...

So I'd heard there was a book bound in human skin at the UGA library. It's true. I saw it today. Why though? Why would someone use skin to bind a book? Kinda gross right? Well that leads me to what I learned today.

05/14/2010:

I learned that at the time of the French Revolution the trend of binding books in human skin really took off. There are two theories attempting to explain the reasoning behind this:

1) People did it as memorials to dead loved ones. Upon request, you could have your personal memiors bound in your own skin.

2)Or if you were slain by your enemy they might bind a book in your skin as a display of victory.

There is even a skin-bound book out there that clearly shows the person's tattoo haha. Sorry if this grossed you out. I thought it was kinda cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment